Saturday, January 19, 2008

Flea Market

Several years ago, I used to wake up early on most Sundays and with a regular crew, go to one of the various flea markets around Southern California. The first Sunday of the month was the Pasadena City College or PCC Flea Market. The second Sunday was the massive Rose Bowl Flea Market. The third Sunday was the Long Beach Outdoor Antique and Collectible Market and the fourth was at the small but high-end Santa Monica Outdoor Antique and Collectible Market. If I bought anything, it was usually cool Art Deco/ Mid Century Modern stuff, vintage phones, 78 records, furniture and kitchen appliances. However, despite all the cool stuff I scored, what I loved most about going to the flea market was the whole experience of it: getting up early, people watching and hanging out with my friends.

When I heard about the new South Park Flea Market starting this Sunday, I started to feel a little nostalgic for the flea market era in my life. This flea market is put on by the same guy who puts on the Melrose Trading Post, which I never really attended because parking was always such a challenge and because in the past, I was more focused on antiques. However, I am excited about the South Park one because a) it's close by and not too big; b) it's a great event for the Downtown community; and c) I can take the subway there. I don't think I'll be able to attend tomorrow, but I would like to check it out sooner than later, preferably with cappuccino and chocolate croissant in hand and a good friend at my side.

1 comment:

lil miss dubin said...

I must say that the parts you describe--the waking up early and being with friends and wandering and people watching--are the best parts for sure. Incidentally, I think that people of our generation underestimate the greatness of waking up early--whether to get on the road or to go be outside somewhere or whatever. But we are in on the sweet secret!